Monday 19 October 2009

The pettiskirt saga continues...


My overlocker is sick. It has been kind of sick for a while but last weekend, it gave a cough and a splutter and decided it had had enough. To be fair, I should have had it serviced when I first got it but, well, how could I bear to let it go away for a whole 4 days? Anyway, I've paid the price for that bit of procrastination because it's been in the shop for a week now and it'll be Wednesday at the earliest before it's home. So, making the best of a bad job, I decided I'd sort out the Unsatisfactory Pettiskirt, that being a job for which the overlocker is not required.






BEFORE
AFTER
First I unpicked all the fluff at the hem (fortunately I'd done the gather and attach in one operation so it wasn't as horrible a job as it could have been) and slashed the chiffon from the yoke. Then I reruffled the fluff so it was much fluffier before sewing it back on the hem (I used up a lot more fluff this time round!). I also learned that while doing it in one operation is a lot faster to do and to unpick, you get much more accurate results by doing the ruffle first and then the attach.
I then neatened the middle tier seam with some narrow satin ribbon, shortened the yoke, reattached the skirt to the yoke and hand-sewed on the wide ribbon which ties with a fetching bow. And it's finished! It was, despite the time it took to complete, great fun to sew and I am seriously considering doing a couple for the shop. Now it's out of my head, I can get on with my real work - roll on Wednesday and the Return of the Overlocker!

3 comments:

Channa said...

looks fab!!!! I made a one layer net one and it sent me potty hehehehe hope the overlockes comes home soon

LiEr said...

Hello Kathryn! Woke up earlier than I wanted this morning because the baby got me out of bed. So am surfing some of the recent new-to-me blogs on my To Read List. Love what you're doing with drafting and blocks. And you make such beautiful clothes! My middle child wants a princess dress for halloween and although I have the sketch on several pieces of paper around the house, I am still thinking about how to do the godets on the skirt. Yoke (like yours) or no yoke? Puff sleeves or not? Must think a little more. I love that I am reading all the familiar, non-US terms here, like "unpick", "block" etc that I used back home. Thank you for a great read!

Kathryn said...

Mopppy - I'm about to tackle a net one for the folksy recycling competition. I would say "watch this space" but I can see that net is nowhere near as nice to sew as the chiffon and I'm not hopeful of even finishing it!
LiEr - thank you! I can honestly return the compliment - I love your blog and think you're incredibly creative.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...