Saturday 26 June 2010

Tag!

A few week ago, Judy from Everything Just Sew tagged me in a kind of questions and answers game. Three birthdays intervened so I'm only now able to take time out of the sewing room to play along!

Onto the questions:

1. Which pattern/vintage style have you been thinking about lately?
I'm half looking for patterns for tops for me! Yes, you read that right... I'm going to be doing some selfish sewing. There's some Michael Miller knits coming over the Atlantic right now, and while most of it is earmarked for the shop, I'd like a couple of hotchpotch tops. Otherwise, I've been doing fancy dress costumes for the children - photos to follow!

2. What's the one place you want to visit that you've never been to before.
Rome. And Florence. And Venice. In fact, I'd like to spend a good month in Italy in springtime, just touring around with my DH. And the first year the children whine 'do we have to?' when we are discussing holidays, that's just what we'll do!

3. How do you relax?
I sew. Has anybody else doing this quiz given a different answer? Actually, I also watch Coronation Street, which is on absolutely sparkling form at the moment - when it gets some airspace around the World Cup of course!

4. What is your favourite holiday.
For our first wedding anniversary, Nigel and I went to Prague. It was December and the city looked like Christmas card land. It was just wonderful. I understand Prague has now been invaded by lap dancing clubs, which seems to me a desecration too awful to be true. I doubt we'll ever go back.

5. What is one sewing skill you want to learn/try out?
I want to be able to pattern draft properly. Some day, when I have more time, I'll take a proper course. Learning from books and the internet is great but I can only do it in project chunks so I never seem to get a good overview. I'd like to learn the whys as well as the maths - perhaps do a suit from scratch. Or, since I never wear suits, some jeans and a top that actually fits. Bliss!

6. Can you knit/crochet? Other crafting talents?
I'm a slow but good knitter, and a less good crocheter. I always have a portable project in my bag - at the moment it's a tanktop for James for his birthday. Which was on Thursday, so that ship's sailed but James doesn't care and anyway, it's a bit warm for tanktops here right now. On holiday, when I'm deprived of my sewing machines, I start my Christmas sock knitting. I love doing socks because you can really go to town on the patterns without feeling as though you've signed up to doing the same item for the next 6 months.

7. What garment/accessory do you wear the most?
Jeans, t-shirt and cardigan. If it's very hot, I leave off the cardigan. How boring is that?

8a. How much time do you spend reading blogs?
It varies but definitely a good few hours a week. I squeeze it in while watching television. I find if I'm doing something with my hands, I'm less likely to eat. Well, that's the theory...

8b. Your motto/mantra
If it's cut out on the grain, it can always be fixed. And 'don't come in here - the iron's on!'

Now, who to tag? I suspect most people have been done. But I love The Joy of Japanese Sewing and envy Marie and Alison their book collections. Michal from Noni and Looli makes gorgeous children's clothes - I love everything she makes. Millie from Needles & Haystacks combines farming with sewing and that, I think, is an unusual mix in this urbanized day and age. Little Fish Creations is a new discovery of mine so I'd love to find out more about Claire. And Ivey at IveyC95 makes the most adorable clothes - her sewing is impeccable.

Tomorrow we have James' birthday party and next week it's Laura's birthday, so the next post will be heavy on photos. I've made Laura a fairytale princess outfit that inadvertently screams '70's game show host' so I'm guessing she's going to absolutely love it.

5 comments:

michal said...

hi!
Thanks for visiting my blog and tagging me (with all these lind words!)! took me a few minutes to understand what it means :-)
Happy birthday to your kids, can't wait to see the dress you made, I love seeing your work!

Judy Ross said...

Thanks for playing! You know, after I'd answered the questions I wondered if ANYONE who's done so doesn't say they sew to relax!? Beangirl's working on drafting too. Wouldn't it be fun to get together and have a crack at it? Shame we're on three different continents.

Looking forward to seeing the birthday dress.

Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathryn said...

Wouldn't it just, Judy? And since we're in dreamland, can we get LiEr to come along to be the tutor? Or maybe Gertie because I'd quite like to learn how to drape, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...